Today, more than ever, companies and their customers are demanding sustainable business practices and solutions from their suppliers. The first thought to delivering on such demands is often how to consume energy more efficiently, utilize clean/renewable energy sources and reduce carbon emissions. While this is an excellent first step for companies to take toward their sustainability goals, it’s only part of the solution. Studies show that transitioning to renewable energies alone can only solve for 55% of greenhouse gas emissions. To achieve net-zero emissions, the remaining 45% must be addressed by transitioning to a circular economy. Juniper has a portfolio of offerings to help customers take this important second step and achieve their sustainability goals.
What is the Circular Economy and Why is it Better?
In a linear economy, resources are extracted from the earth, products are manufactured, used and then disposed of as waste in landfills. In a circular economy, products are collected after use to be reused or recycled instead of ending up in landfills. A circular economy effectively reduces waste, pollution and the extraction of Earth’s natural resources. A circular economy also promotes global social equality since studies have shown that the burden of pollution and waste is more heavily borne by disadvantaged communities and countries.
Hierarchy of Circular Economy Principles in Order of Value and Environmental Impact
In a circular economy, the best outcomes minimize environmental impact and maximize the value recovered from products. A hierarchy of outcomes may look like this:
- Extend the use of products through maintenance and support
- Promote the reuse of products in their most valuable end-product state
- Promote the reuse of product components when end-product reuse is no longer viable
- Recycle precious metals and plastics for reuse in production of other products
- Dispose of remaining materials with no viable sustainable alternative
Juniper Networks’ Circular Economy Portfolio
To help customers begin the transition to a circular economy and achieve their sustainability goals, Juniper Networks® has partnered with PureWrx to offer three valuable circular economy programs. These programs truly allow customers to think and act sustainably from the beginning to the end of their product lifecycle needs.
Try & Buy Program
Juniper’s circular economy-powered Try & Buy program, available through PureWrx, is a sustainable, risk-free way for customers to try Juniper’s latest technology. At the end of their 60-90-day trial, customers can choose to purchase and keep the product or simply send back to PureWrx in the original packaging. All returned products will be recertified and eligible for reuse by another customer or internal department. The Try & Buy program is an excellent way for customers to get up and running faster than ever while eliminating the typical e-waste problem that is often present in lab and evaluation environments.
Juniper Certified Pre-Owned (JCPO) Program
The Juniper® Certified Pre-Owned (JCPO) Program is the true engine that drives Juniper’s circular economy offerings. JCPO allows customers to purchase excess or previously used products which have undergone a rigorous remanufacturing and testing process to ensure like-new quality and security. All the latest component and software updates have been applied. JCPO products are backed by Juniper’s warranty and eligible for the same world class J-Care support as new products. A typical JCPO router or switch is estimated to save over 20 lbs. of e-waste and 1,000 lbs. of CO2 emissions. To date, the JCPO program has helped over 1,000 Juniper customers to save an estimated combined 66 tons of e-waste from landfills and eight million lbs. of CO2 emissions!
Sustainable Sourcing Program
The Sustainable Sourcing program helps customers maximize the value out of end-of-use products while minimizing environmental impact. Customers can reach out to PureWrx directly or their Juniper Partner or representative and request an offer from PureWrx for their decommissioned assets. PureWrx can make an offer in the form of cash or maximize the value further with a credit on the purchase of another Juniper product, both new and JCPO.
Maximize Network Performance; Minimize Environmental Impact
Juniper’s circular economy offerings provide sustainable options for companies at all stages of their product lifecycle journey. Whether companies are experiencing Juniper for the first time, expanding their current networking infrastructure or transitioning to the latest cutting-edge Juniper technology, these programs are designed to help businesses take the next step in achieving their net-zero goals. Trusting only OEM-certified programs, such as Juniper’s, ensures no sacrifice in quality or security when making the transition to a circular economy.