In the telecom industry, the need for interoperable solutions is a strategic imperative. When an operator introduces new technologies or network elements into their existing or next-generation infrastructure, they must be sure the technology supported by the vendors is standards-based and fully interoperable with other network elements to enable smooth network operations in multi-vendor environments.
Juniper participated in 2022 European Advanced Networking Test Center (EANTC) testing focused on EVPN-VXLAN interoperability. In a modern data center, an EVPN-VXLAN architecture provides key advantages. For example, it supports efficient Layer 2 and Layer 3 network connectivity with scale, simplicity and agility, while also reducing OpEx costs. As a leader in the EVPN-VXLAN space, Juniper successfully demonstrated interoperability in the EANTC 2022 testing.
- Once again, Juniper Networks successfully demonstrated EVPN-VXLAN multi-vendor interoperability in EANTC-2022 tests with other vendors, including Arista, Nokia, Huawei, Keysight, Ribbon and Spirent.
- EANTC used the Juniper QFX Series and ACX Series platforms, including QFX-5120-32C, QFX-5120-48Y, QFX-5130-32C, ACX7100-48L and QFX10002-72.
- The tests were recorded live at Seamless EVPN-VXLAN to EVPN-VXLAN Tunnel Stitching for DCI – EANTC Interoperability Test 2022. For more information, the EANTC-22 Multi-vendor Interoperability test report can be downloaded here.
Tested Use Cases
The EVPN-VXLAN interoperability testing at EANTC-22 was focused on the following Data Center and Data Center Interconnect (DCI) use cases:
Ethernet Virtual Private Network (EVPN) Services:
- VLAN-Based and VLAN-Aware Services
- Proxy MAC-IP Advertisement
EVPN Route Types
- EVPN Route Types 1-8
EVPN-Integrated Layer 2 and Layer 3 Services
- Integrated Routing and Bridging
- Symmetric (IRB)
- Asymmetric (IRB)
- Active/Active Multihoming (ESI-LAG)
EVPN-Optimized Inter-Subnet Multicast (OISM) Provides Multicast VPN Services
- IGMP and MLD Proxy
- Optimized Inter-Subnet Multicast (OISM)
- BD, SBD and PEG
Data Center Interconnect (DCI)
EANTC’s EVPN-VXLAN Interoperability Lab Setup and Testing
The test used this EVPN-VXLAN multivendor topology.
Throughout all of the EANTC tests, the Juniper QFX Series switches and ACX Series routers were deployed in a multivendor EVPN-VXLAN fabric used in the following manner:
- The Juniper QFX5K and ACX7100 were tested in the Leaf role and the QFX10K was tested in the Spine/Border-Leaf role.
- The QFX5K, ACX7100 and QFX10K were all tested as a Leaf, with Arista as a Spine, and vice-versa (Arista switches as a Leaf, with Juniper QFX10K as a Spine).
- Symmetric Type-2 (MAC/IP) and Asymmetric IRB
- Active-Active Multi-Homing with Arista and Huawei
- OISM over BD, SBD and PEG
- IGMP & MLD Proxy
- EVPN-VXLAN to EVPN-VXLAN Interworking between 2 DCs, where QFX10K and Nokia was multi-home as a GW and peered with Arista 7280R
Test results can be found in this multi-vendor demo and in this EANTC-22 Interoperability Test Result/Whitepaper. These multi-vendor interoperability testing events organized by EANTC are very important and beneficial for customers when making product decisions to create end-to-end standard-based solutions for their next-generation infrastructure.
Validation by EANTC helps customers move confidently and adopt Juniper Networks’ end-to-end solutions in their next-generation transformation. Similarly, Juniper Networks’ participation in EANTC’s 2022 multi-vendor interoperability testing shows our continued commitment to our customers and the industry, providing complete standards-based and interoperable solutions.
For more information, visit:
QFX Series switches
ACX Series routers
The EANTC (European Advanced Networking Test Center) is internationally recognized as one of the world’s leading independent test centers for telecommunication. Based in Berlin, Germany, the company offers vendor-neutral network consultancy and realistic, reproducible high-quality testing services since 1991. Customers include leading network equipment manufacturers, tier-1 service providers, large enterprise, and governments worldwide. EANTC’s proof of concept, acceptance test and network audits cover established, and next generation fixed and mobile network technologies. http://www.eantc.de